Wednesday, September 19, 2012

New Series: "Traditions"

Hey Everyone!

I always like to give my thought process when coming up with ideas and posts with MBBL and I wanted to share a little back story with this new series. During my first brainstorming session about traditions, my first intent was to write about all the different traditions I plan to incorporate with my girls in one Kids’ Corner post. After writing a list about of about 50+ things with everything ranging from day to day, first day of school, Christmas, to birthdays, I came to the conclusion that I needed to go in a totally different direction with this idea. Instead of boggling your brain and going on and on in one post, I decided to write series of posts.

The “Traditions” series.
This series will focus on different traditions that we incorporate in our family lives. It will more specifically focus on how those traditions affect and create memories for our children and families in general. Some posts may be related to upcoming holidays, and some may be everyday things we do in our homes.
Today’s topic is simply…Dinner. As in, everyday dinner with your family at the kitchen or living room table. I read this post from Janelle King at "What's The Deal With J'", about what happened when she made her family come to the table and eat dinner, instead of their usual routine. She wrote about the benefits of eating at the dinner table at least once in a while and  how important it was to her and her family.
I must say…I agree. Having a meal at the table on occasion, if not everyday, creates a great family bond, and is much better than just grabbing a meal and everyone going to their separate quarters, or sitting in front of the TV.
Why is important? Well of course…because it encourages communication! Evening dinners with your family is a great way to wind down and communicate. About what? Your day at work, the kids day at school, or anything else that comes to mind!
Growing up, my family never really did this. My mom worked nights and slept during the evening to be ready for her 11pm shift. She would cook dinner and it was my dad’s responsibility to make sure I (I’m an only child) ate. We usually did this in front of the TV. Never at the table. I didn’t see it as a big deal then, nor did I think it was important. Now, since I am a parent, my thoughts on that have changed.
Do I do it in my home with my girls? Sort of.
We don’t eat dinner at the table every night. My girls do, I just don’t eat with them all of the time. My excuse? Well...I have a few, but I won’t bore you with the details. I don’t usually eat dinner to be honest. I do, however, make every effort to sit down at the table with them at least a few days out the week while they are eating to talk. We talk mostly about Kayden’s day at school while Kami throws food all over the floor (true story). Even though I don’t eat with them every day, I make sure to slow down, stop what I’m doing, and have that one on one (well one on two) time with them. Which to me, is very important.
I asked the December Darlings to chime in and give me their thoughts on the subject. Here is what they had to say…


How often do you sit at the table with your family to eat dinner?
If you answered every day, that is great! I applaud you. If you answered very rarely, then I encourage you to start having this family time. Even if it’s just once or twice a week! Eat dinner and most importantly GET TO TALKING! If you want something new to talk about instead of the old mundane “How was your day?”, I recommend the great conversation starters, Table Topics, which I will be writing about in the upcoming weeks.
Now...who’s inviting me to dinner? Don't all answer at once now...

Ok, Bye!

6 comments:

  1. This is such a great series idea! Can't wait to see what you come up with. I also love the December Darlings. I will have to join a group on The Bump when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :-) I hope you check out many more of the posts in the series to come!

      Delete
  2. I love that you make it a point to sit with your girls despite tge fact that you're not a dinner eater. And I love the idea of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely try to do that! It's sometimes hard, because this is the time that I try to settle down and get ready for the next day, but I also know that this time is very important and a perfect opportunity to communicate with my girls! :-) Thanks!

      Delete
  3. My original post was deleted somehow. But this was a great post. When I worked in Prevention I read that children who eat dinner with their families are more likely to have better communication skills and less likely to try alcohol or drugs. I read your post often but rarely comment because I'm usually reading from my phone. Kudos to you for creating this blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mika for reading and commenting! :-) I hope that people do know that this time is very important for kids and sitting at the dinner table should be done as often as possible for those exact reasons you posted!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...